admin on January 4th, 2009
According to Wikipedia
A web directory is a directory of websites on the World Wide Web. It specializes in linking to other web sites and categorizing those links.
A web directory is not a search engine and does not display lists of web sites based on keywords; instead, it lists web sites by category and subcategory. The categorization is usually based on the whole web site rather than one page or a set of keywords, and sites are often limited to inclusion in only a few categories. Web directories often allow site owners to directly submit their site for inclusion, and have editors review submissions for fitness.
Web directory submissions is one of the most popular way of free link building and getting one way links. Webmasters are always in search of the high quality web directories and free web directories. All the major search engines like Google, Yahoo and Msn has there own web directories and listings in these directories are free as well as paid. These directories can be found here
We can categorize the web directories in two primary types.
- Human Edited Web directories
- Automated Web Directories
Human Edited Web directories:
A human edited web directory is maintained by a human. All the websites are added after the editor personally review’s them. They mostly are paid but there are some free ones too.
Automated Web Directories
These are the directories which are maintained by automated software. On submission they look for the defined values and if a website agrees to those values, they list it instantly. These can be free as well as paid listed directories.
We can also majorly categorized the website directories in three types.
Local Web Directories
Local web directory is a directory which shares the same top level domain extension as the submitted sites. Lets say you have website whose TLD Extension is .co.uk then all the web directories having .co.uk TLD Extensions are the local web directories for your website.
Niche web Directories
These are the web directories that list only the specific subject or industry related websites like directories for web designers lists only the web design related websites.
General Web Directory
These are the normal web directories with no restriction of industry or country
Web directory Submission is the first step of Off Page SEO for any website. Submission in web directories is an on going process for some SEO’s whereas some SEO’s suggests that submission in big and major directories are enough for a website. Beside free web directories there are countless Paid web directories which claim to be a little more seo friendly and authoritative in comparison to free directories and they ensure fast approval.
When Submitting to web directories, follow the below points and you will get maximum results of your submissions.
- Don’t start submission in every single directory you find. Make some standard for instance start with the web directories that has high Google PageRank.
- When submitting into web directories, submit your website in the most related category. This will increase the chances of approval.
- Use the Category words in your Title and Description. Lets say if you are submitting your website in Pets categories, the title should contain word PET in it.
- Analyze the other existing websites in the related category and see what they use in there title and description.
- Using the email id on your domain increases the chance of approval, though its not necessary in most of the cases.
- Don’t use software’s. Do it manually.
- Avoid directories which aren’t listed in Search Engines, as they may be penalized or banned.
- Use different Titles as well as descriptions.
- Conclusively, the answers of the question that Is Directory Submission worth it is yes it does.